14 Oct 2017

Prayer Connects

This past March, I had the great privilege and pleasure to attend a gender rights conference with other representatives of the Anglican communion. As a result, I now have more friends all over the globe. Through the wonders of social media, we can share aspects of our lives with one another in very simple ways.

One of the aspects of my life, that I share easily and regularly, is that I am a pray-er. I pray a lot. I speak about prayer. It's a big deal for me.
So when the "Thy Kingdom Come" prayer initiative happened this spring, a 10-day global prayer wave from Ascension through Pentecost, I shared it: I spoke about it, I tweeted about it, it was on my Facebook - I was a supporter, needless to say.
One of my friends from the March conference asked what it was - and so I told her, and she also signed up for it. Obviously - Anglicans pray! Why not pray together!

This week she sent me a picture through Facebook. She had been at her church's office and found  "Thy Kingdom Come" mug. So, a quick picture, a quick message, and a quick note - that the mug made her think of me.

What a gift to be thought of, and remembered, from so far away! What a beautiful gift that comes from prayer. We receive the gift of prayer for ourselves, for one another, and for the community. Whether we live next door, or halfway around the world, prayer unites us. What a tremendous and unexpected gift that God grants us through prayer: that our dance with the divine also invites us into relationship that connects us all, regardless of location and temporality.

Thy Kingdom Come, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment