9 Jun 2018

The Power of Vulnerability

CC BY-NC-ND 2.0 by Andi Jetaime Source: Flickr
            As a society, we reduce our vulnerabilities (through risk management strategies and disaster response plans). As individuals, we avoid physical vulnerability (being vaccinated against diseases, maintaining healthy lifestyles, and limit exposure to high-risk circumstances).
            Generally, we've come to believe we should extend this avoidance of vulnerability to our emotional and spiritual selves. Culture presents vulnerability as a weakness, something wrong, a negative. To be vulnerable is to leave oneself ”exposed to the possibility of being attacked or harmed" (OED). To be a vulnerable population is to need special care or protection.
            Yet, our faith calls for us to be vulnerable. It invites to be completely open DESPITE the risk of being hurt. It is this full openness that allows a deeper love to enter and engage in our hearts, and in our relationships.
            It's not easy to be vulnerable, it depends on trust. And that trust is not something that is to be taken lightly.
            That trust was extended to me several times this past week, as I had the privileged opportunity to engage with a people at their most vulnerable. People who wanted to connect with me as their priest, people who put their trust in me to be especially careful and gentle with their emotional and spiritual selves. These people were dealing with pain, hospitalisation, mental health concerns, grief, transition, uncertainty: people dealing with the harsh realities of life.
            Having been gifted with the invitation and trust to accompany others in their most vulnerable moments, and taking seriously that privilege and responsibility, I was reminded of the value of connecting with one another through our exposed, vulnerable moments.
            Part of my spiritual journey is the choice to open myself up to the same type of care and affection that I hope I was able to give, and that I hope we are all willing to receive from Jesus. After all, we know that this is the God who loved us so much, and was so desperate to assure of us salvation instead of condemnation, that God made manifest in human form to share in our vulnerability, to model for us what vulnerable love is.
            I know that by making myself vulnerable, I am giving others the chance to hurt me. I have been hurt in the past, I will likely be hurt in the future. However, by making myself vulnerable, I am opening myself to the possibility of radical hospitality, profound grace, and extreme love: the love of divine proportions. And what love I have received, that I may have missed had my heart been hardened in risk-avoidance.

            Being intentionally vulnerable is a risk, it's an act of faith, it's a counter-cultural spiritual discipline. And it is entirely worthwhile, especially when we remember who will always protect us, for our 'God of Power and Might' is also the 'God of Vulnerable Love.'*

*from a conversation with fellow theologian




No comments:

Post a Comment