29 Sept 2018

A Dusty Old Book

a 'before' view
            I did a bit of tidying up last week, including dusting my bookshelves.  Now: full disclosure - dusting does not make my soul sing with delight. However, I took the time to remove all books, dust them and the shelves, and then relocate - either on the shelf, or in the bag destined for the parish's book sale.
            In the midst of this, I found one of my favourite collections of prayers. It's a book that I have read many times, loaned out many times, lost track of more than once. I hadn't seen it for a while, and asked a few friends if they had it, when POOF! there I found it, sitting backwards, casually collecting dust on a bottom shelf.
            Needless to say, dusting and organising paused. I wanted to spend time with this book once more; to read the comforting prayers that have been part of my journey through many years. The book easily opened itself to the pages where I have turned most often; the card from the giver of this gift still marked the inscription. It was like returning to spend time with an old friend.
            More than just any friend, it was a way to reminisce with Jesus. At various times,  these prayers have touched my soul and invited a deeper connection with God. They have served as a conduit for me to articulate my earthly emotions in the context of a higher power. To take times of sorrow and know that I was not walking alone, and years later to recognise how God accompanied me through my grief. To remember times of great joy, as these prayers called to the front of my mind the celebration shared beyond an earthly happiness. To acknowledge periods of spiritual ennui when the prayers sustained a faith
as dry as the dust I had just removed from the book; and to be thankful for those times when the prayers continued to provide God's abundant nourishment flowing like streams.
            So, the dusting stopped for a time. Because I found this dusty old book.
            Yet this was so much more than just a dusty book; it was a way to reconnect with a collection of memories where God's presence has touched my life. I re-emerged into a spiritual well of connection with the divine, reminiscing on the grace of journeying with Jesus. I found a part of my history, and am diving in to see where the prayers will guide me however my journey continues.

            May we all find such sustenance in our prayers; grateful for our yesterdays, spiritually open for today, and hopeful for our tomorrows.



1 comment: