1 Jun 2019

Magnolia Lament


         My neighbours across the street have a magnolia tree in their yard. This means that right now, I get to view some truly stunning blooms every time I open the door, or pass the window. It's stunning!
         Imagine my surprise when I overheard someone lamenting about magnolias as a waste of time and garden space. Their walking companion seemed as confused as I was, and inquired why the speaker felt so strongly.
         "Sure, they're pretty," came the reply, "but only for a little while. Why bother?"
         While I didn't hear the rest of the conversation, this part stayed with me - in a sad way. There is undeniable beauty in a magnolia; and not just in the short vibrancy of bloom. How unfortunate for the people who refuse the opportunity to enjoy it; either the blooms and flowers (gorgeous!) or the other stages of the plant's life (also enjoyable). The beauty is there, if only we would see it.
         I pondered this perspective, as we consider people as well. As we encounter the various gifts and skills and offerings of our brothers and sisters in Christ, we're given the chance to see the beauty, the growth, the contribution. Yet so often we tend to focus on a perceived negative; how we consider their ministry to the world as not good enough, or long enough, or important enough. We ignore the beauty that someone is offering, because we're so limited in our own vision and expectation.
         I believe that everyone has something to offer - and that these offerings are to be appreciated for what they are (and how they are given!). We are all part of the beauty of God's world and the Holy Church - whether we're ever-changing magnolias or ever-stable evergreens.
         I simply pray that I will see and enjoy the beauty of the offerings around me, and not be blinded from another person's expressions of God's gifts in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment