7 Sept 2019

A Powerhouse of Positivity


            I have a friend who is always a joy to be around. She sees the best in people and situations. (Even an impending hurricane is, for her, an opportunity for extended uninterrupted family time!) She finds ways to be grateful, as well as inspiring others to be grateful as well. She is a powerhouse of positivity, and lives life with thankful heart.
            Her attitude is not just surface level; so often we see people forcing themselves to smile through pain or present a happy face because it's what other people expect. She has known sad days, painful days, distressing days - as everyone has. But throughout the challenge, she sees opportunity to seek joy. She relies on God, family, and friends, to weather the storms, to learn from them, and to flourish as a result. 
            This is the kind of friend who can help put things into perspective: I benefit immensely from chatting with her. She's a great listener, and responds with empathy. "I'm sorry that happened" can be a wonderful affirmation of my frustration; an "are you okay" an extension of care I may not even realise I need. She lifts others up and encourages a continuation of care and concern - and of gratitude.
            This is a friend who will reach out with hugs, texts of support, and a listening ear. She is the kind of friend to have a coffee with in a difficult week. She's the kind to chat with over a beer in the pub to celebrate good news. She's the type to pray with when making a decision.
            She's the kind of friend that I am grateful to have. She's the kind of friend I aspire to be. I thank God for her - and for all of my friends - who celebrate life with this attitude. What a gift for us all to focus on all the gifts that God has given.



No comments:

Post a Comment