11 Jul 2020

For Want of a Bag



            I was recently in the neighbouring town enjoying a gorgeous sunny day's walk with my dogs. Now, the practicalities of such walks are that with 2 dogs, I have at least 4 bags with me, for any en-route pickups.
            Imagine my dilemma when, with 4 bags in my possession, my dog opted to be an overachiever, and I found myself needing a fifth bag.
            Fortunately, the owner of the home (on whose yard this extra present had been deposited) was outside in her garden. So, up the drive we trekked, and I asked if she might have a bag - any bag - that I could have. As she was not a dog-owner, it took some explanation as to why I wanted a plastic bag (and what I did not want to leave on her yard!); she was happy to oblige!
            ...and that was not the end of our conversation. We chatted (physically distanced) on her driveway for about 10 minutes - about the weather, COVID, the dogs, her garden... it was a lovely chat. Started, for want of a bag.
            I was back in that area this week, when a cheery voice called out "Do you want a bag?" - the same lady and I had another chat. Still about weather, and dogs, and gardens... And Watson flirted with her shamelessly, and Comet rolled in the grass. It was lovely, and I found myself smiling long after we had moved on.
            For want of a bag, I was able to start a relationship of sorts with this woman. I'm not sure if we would have crossed paths otherwise; but I trust that God has put her in my life for a reason - even if only to bring a smile to my face!
            There are encounters that may seem random, and meetings that may start off awkwardly, and interactions that we may not understand a deeper purpose behind... but maybe there's a more divine agenda than we can fathom, and I thank God for these gifts of connection, and am hopeful that I will be alert enough to realise them when they happen.  I trust that God will use whatever means to get us to connect - even if it needs to be cleaned up, with a borrowed bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment