12 Dec 2020

Spell-Cherker

In my writing, one of the things I am grateful for is the spell-checker. 

Admittedly, my spelling usually isn't terrible, and my typing isn't generally too bad; however, there are times when I end up with something VERY different than what I intended; I may be typing too quickly, or when I am tired or distracted and not at my best. And so, with a quick spell-check, I get the chance to edit out anything that should not be in the writing.

I've had a lot of opportunity to do this recently; my current chapter 3 is on re-write number 4, with more to come!

As much as it can be a nuisance, this editing and rewriting is a gift; as I am able to re-phrase and re-work my efforts, I can clarify what is being said, eliminate parts that are unnecessary or off-topic or just awkward. And, by going through such a process, my writing is better, my project is more concise, and it's an overall better experience.

Wouldn't it be great if we all did some editing in our daily communications? 

Well, we can: we can be intentional about what we say, and what we write. We can avoid hitting the send button in anger, we can verify facts before we pass along judgements, we can choose an appropriate audience. It's not always easy; but it is always possible - in fact, it's Christian. Ephesians 4.29 reminds us: Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

One of the resources I have shared is the "Think Before You Speak" practice.... it invites folks to be intentional, before they speak (or email, or post on social media!)
THINK before you speak. (Or, thiinky before you speaky!)
T - is it true? Are these facts or guesses?
- is it helpful? Will this build up the church/community/conversation, or tear it down?
I - is it important? Is this adding to the conversation, or has this already been shared? 
I - is it inspiring? Will this encourage the hearer? Is it a faithful response to the situation?
N - is it necessary? Does it need to be shared here and now?
K - is it kind? Even difficult conversations can be kind; is your delivery rude or mean?
Y - is it your story? Or are you telling someone else's story?

It's a good practice to get into, and can provide that basic 'edit' function to our conversations. And we can practice with our friends in casual chats, until it becomes more natural to us... because it will make a profound difference in our interactions, if we can speak the grace that has been given us. All we need to do is imagine how we would feel to hear what we're saying... and maybe find that metaphorical edit button. 



No comments:

Post a Comment