2 Jan 2021

The TBR

    I am a bookworm, an avid reader. Sometimes I read literature, sometimes I read fluff. But I read – pretty much daily! And the basis of many conversations I have with friends has to do with books. 
    As such, one of the realities in my life is the TBR – the “To Be Read” bookpile. Or bookshelf. Or… if I’m honest, book case! I could go for a year without buying a book, or borrowing from the library (ah, the blissful library!) and still meet my average of 10 books a month. 
    While I enjoy collecting books, I also enjoy passing them along; I’m more into tsundoku (a Japanese word for the TBR) than bibliomania (an obsession with books, to the extent of damaging social relationships).  
    For me, my bookshelves speak about my relationships: some have been gifts, some recommendations, some follow-ups to conversations. Some remind me of adventures with friends, or of educational experiences, or of book club ideas yet to put into practice. I have fiction and poetry, non-fiction and biography, thrillers and lots of theology! And there’s always – always – a Bible on my TBR. Because that is a part of my daily reading, and re-reading – and there’s always something new to be found in its pages. 
    As I set my “reading challenge” goals again this year (I belong to several book groups), I realised that I’ve never included the Bible in my reading trackers… not because I don’t enjoy it, or want to share it – quite the opposite! I don’t count it because I’m never done reading it: unlike the mysteries or histories or even the adventure books that are re-reads. It’s always in the TBR section, because for me it’s a way of life. 
    So what are you reading this year? Can I suggest the Bible?

 "‘Tell me what you read and I’ll tell you who you are’ is true enough, but I’d know you better if you told me what you reread."
~François Mauriac
 

1 comment:

  1. I can really relate to this because I love to read too. I have had the pleasure of discovering a new Christian author (new to me, he's been writing for some time). I'm almost finished Tom Wright's Surprised by Hope and hope to get more of his books in the future.

    ReplyDelete