3 Sept 2022

Every Movement is a Blessing

Greenville Daily Photo/Public Domain
On a recent walk, I was recognising my frustration in the lingering fatigue and decreased energy post-COVID. I passed a man exercising in the park (he was doing lunges with a kettlebell!!), and after the general congenialities, I made some comment that it was better him than me! We both smiled, and then he said:
Every movement is a blessing.

What a refreshing re-set. Every movement is a blessing.

The rest of my walk, I meditated on movement – the actions that I take for granted (petting the dogs), the ones I miss (going for a run), the unexpected ones (sneezing – it’s a full-body experience for me).

Movement can bring positive sensations – a deep breath in the sunshine, or hugging a friend. They can also highlight challenge – the creaks of the knees in the morning, the soreness of the back after picking too many blueberries. The movements can be for the full body (the third nocturnal trip to the loo) or tiny (eyes adjusting to a different direction); they can be complicated (learning to dance) or simple (stretching).

Movement: we do it all the time. It’s what our bodies were designed for!

Yet the opportunity to remain mindful of the divine presence in the midst of it – can be a re-focusing event to keep us in that grateful space that our bodies can provide.

So whatever our relationship is with our bodies; whatever aches and pains we have (or absence thereof), whatever scars or wounds or imperfections or normalities we have: our bodies move.

And every movement is a blessing.

Therefore we are basking in blessing every moment.
What a gift indeed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment