15 Oct 2022

Prayer: as basic as basil


Despite some unseasonably gorgeous weather this week, the time of year is here – when the garden’s harvest comes to an end. Fighting against this inevitability (and protecting from overnight frost advisories) I moved my modest herb garden into the sunroom about 2 weeks ago; it has meant that grabbing some chives or mint has become even easier. It also means that my cooking is enjoying a little bit more pizzaz!

Friday, the herbe du jour was basil – into a saucy tomato dish went several fresh leaves. I had picked them by hand, and inadvertently got some basil oil into my skin.

For the rest of the day, I could smell basil. At first I thought the aroma was wafting from the kitchen, until I realised that it was not stronger in there, and in fact the tomato scent was dominant; and despite several hand-washings, the basil scent was emanating from my fingers.

This year, my Epiphany ‘star word’ was fragrance – which I found ironic, as I don’t have a very good sense of smell. However, when I notice a fragrance, I give it particular attention and reflection.

So: olfactory senses engaged, I reflected on the basil. How it was infusing itself into my day; my prayer, my reading, my interactions, my appointments, even my walks with the dogs. It reminded me of the hopeful pervasiveness of prayer: “Let my prayer be counted as incense before you, and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice.” (Ps 141.2)

And so for the rest of the day, every time I caught a whiff of basil, I took a moment and prayed. Prayers of thanksgiving, prayers of intercession, prayers of petition, prayers of praise. It was an unanticipated benefit of the herbs; to serve as a reminder and invitation to pray. Yet that was the side benefit of the basil that day.

It left me wondering yesterday what other opportunities may come about; what aspects of everyday life can shift our perspective from the busy-ness of our daily routines to the moments of grace-filled prayer. Maybe a fragrance, maybe a sound, maybe a visual cue – the possibilities are literally endless, and can change day to day.

Yet the privilege to recognise the cues – and to respond – is a joy to be found. For when our prayer arise, and infuse the world around us – like incense, or basil oil – our hearts find their rest in the glorious presence of God.


No comments:

Post a Comment