16 Jul 2023

Cake!


Some days, I watch cake decorating videos. They are abundant in social media; they are short and fun, some harmless entertainment of folks doing some amazing things with sugary confections. (And who doesn’t like cake?!) To be clear, I am not watching the ‘how-to’ videos – those also exist, and kudos to those who make them with the intention of sharing their knowledge and tips. Instead, I watch the 60-second shorts. I enjoy them. I find them relaxing and enjoyable.

For I am not intending to learn to be a cake decorator. While I can do basic decorations, I’m not trained to do the fancy stuff, nor do I have the sense that God is calling me in that vocational direction. I have benefitted from the tips and advice that others have shared. I have used the inspiration from what others have created. I could learn to do more, but am choosing not to – and that’s okay. We’re none of us meant to do every thing, and I have other outlets for my creativity.

Still, I really appreciate those who have learned and practiced and ply their trade. These folks not only have taken time and financial commitment and creativity and everything else, and made them into something impressive, they have also chosen to share that with the world through these cake videos. Many show their successes, as well as times when they are vulnerable in sharing an ‘ooops!’ moment.

I’m not interested in the competitive cake decorating shows… they exist, but they intend to bring out the combative nature, pitting people against each other. These can stoop to sabotage or ill-will – which increases viewership ratings, but not my preference. (Nor, in my opinion, in a healthy way.) I do, from time to time, enjoy watching the collaborative shows – where folks may be competing but are also helping one another in times of need (i.e. Bake Off shows!)

Finding our passion and our pastimes is important. They help us understand who we are, and who we are created to be. This is normal for all of us; we find what we enjoy and we do it! These expressions have the potential to show the world our values, our priorities, our best selves. And how we respond to others’ passions further demonstrates a lot about ourselves. We have the opportunity to be positive, affirming, supportive people, with friends and strangers alike.

I am comfortable with my limited skills in icing a cake. I have no problem with these spectacular, unique, bespoke cakes being more expensive than your average grocery store creation (a worker is worth their wages!) And I understand that the world is a more beautiful place because of those folks who decorate cakes – just as the world is a better place for all of our passions.

So whether we are witnessing/appreciating someone else’s craft, or practicing our own, or jumbling through new experiences just to see if that speaks to our soul, I hope we are doing it in supportive and positive ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment