29 Dec 2018

A Grinchy Blog

Every year, I revisit a favourite fictional character: the Grinch. It never ceases to amuse me that this Seuss-beast will stop at nothing to prevent Christmas.

Of course, his heart (which starts being 2 sizes too small) grows 3 sizes on Christmas Day, and he engages with his Whoville neighbours for some good cheer and celebration.

I wonder what might happen if we all started this season as the end-of-story character, with over-large hearts and a desire to engage in compassion and companionship. I wonder what would happen if we embraced every opportunity to forsake our own preferences and instead bring about love and goodwill. Instead of asking (as the Grinch does) how to prevent Christmas, how might we Christians demonstrate the love of Christ?

Can we imagine creative ways to show the good news in our own context? (My new hometown has a large lobster-trap Christmas tree). Can we make family-friendly worship truly family friendly? (I attended a friend's Seuss-inspired Eucharist on the 24th!). Can we carry the peace beyond our comfortable pew to the marketplace? (Extending patience to those working retail during the boxing day/week sales, for example). Can we overcome our inner Grinch and make connections with the Whos living in our own Whoville next door?

Can we see that Christmas means a little bit more?

I think we can. I think we are privileged to be the ones who will stop at nothing to bring Christmas - the true Christmas - to the world. On this 6th day of Christmas, I wish us all the joy of the season!




No comments:

Post a Comment