22 Dec 2018

Welcome!


            As Christmas approaches, I find myself in a rather unusual circumstance - having moved to a new parish but not commencing until the start of 2019. It is a strange sensation to be not making final changes to Magnificat and Nativity sermons, but to be putting energy into arranging furniture and unpacking boxes.
            It's a different way to be 'home for Christmas'.
            The community into which I have been invited welcomed me just a few days ago - and welcome they did! I arrived to a rectory full of not only the contents from the moving truck, but numerous things (practicalities and treats) to make my transition gentle: the fridge had food, the cupboards had dishes, the washrooms had soap and towels. There was bubble bath and wine for me, and heart-shaped treats for the dogs (in a lovely treat jar!). And, of course, there were hugs upon arrival, and many guests have extended welcome greetings. As much of a self-sufficient traveller as I am, I was overwhelmed with the kindness and love that was waiting to welcome me to my new home.
            Perhaps the most touching and unique sign of welcome was a Christmas tree, brought from a parishioners' farm, and set up in the living room. The tree is also decorated: with pictures of all the parish family affixed to wooden disks and shining in the fairy lights. It's a beautiful tree which reminds me that, though new to town, I am surrounded by a loving family at Christmas.
            It is a welcome that goes above and beyond what could be hoped for; yet my new friends have said they just thought about what they would want to feel entirely comfortable and welcome.
            What a gift for me to be receiving this welcome at Christmas. It is, after all, the time of year when we share in welcoming the Christ Child. We will hear sermons about the joy made manifest; we will sing and rejoice for the Messiah's incarnation; we will welcome the baby Jesus into our hearts with delight and celebration.
            My reflection this week is on the welcoming itself. When we welcome the Christ into this realm, into our hearts and lives, I pray that our welcome is not limited to the Glo-o-o-o-o-orias in the hymnal and the sentiments in the greeting cards. I pray that we approach the welcoming of divine love with a comparable level of intentionality that I received here - a careful and prayerful consideration of welcoming Jesus: to keep Jesus as the center of our thoughts and actions, to act to ensure Jesus is entirely comfortable and welcome in our hearts, to be the loving family that surrounds all of God's children at Christmas and beyond.
            I pray that the presence of Jesus will remind us to welcome God in the coming days and throughout the year. May we all welcome a Happy Christmas.   



2 comments:

  1. Wonderful! And I'm sure they will receive a wonderful response as you engage with them. May you all know the peace and joy of the Incarnation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thrilled to hear about your new community and home, LauraMarie! Praying this will be more than you can ask or imagine! Will miss you in Niagara, tho'!

    ReplyDelete