2 May 2020

The Comfortable Words

            I traveled in March, and so returned home to a period of self-isolation. "Ah!" I thought to myself. "Sweat pants and comfort food. No problem!" And, as my self-isolation transitioned into our societal 'stay the blazes home' (thank you Premier McNeil!), I realised I was doing a lot of things that brought me comfort.
            I did some baking, I started jigsaw puzzle(s), I started buying the processed 'comfort foods' from my youth (NOT my normal healthy meal prep!), I started seeking out the dogs for them to play with me (even if they were napping), I put on the clothes that brought back happiest memories of friends and travel.
            And, I prayed.
            In fact, from the first day of my isolation, I prayed publicly. Online.
            I discussed with a colleague how I found comfort in offering and sharing the daily prayer: whatever liturgy resource I use, whatever the response, the comfortable words and rhythm of prayer at a set time has been helpful.
            Through pandemic, gun violence, and tragedy: we are praying. And it brings us comfort at a time when we most need it, and are unable to extend our care in physical proximity.
            Through births, birthdays, and anniversaries: we are praying. For through prayer we share in the joy of the Lord and the joy of community.
            Through bright days, and gloomy days, and days when we feel disconnected: we are praying. And our prayers remind us that God is with us and holding us together.
            In sweat pants or clericals (and sometimes both!), with good hair days or shaggy-do's, with behaving house pets (or a singing canine choir): we are praying. Because God hears the whispers of our hearts even if the words won't come.
            We will get through this. We are getting through this. We do it with prayer. For this brings us comfort: no matter when we started our journey in prayer, we "hear what comfortable words our Saviour Christ saith unto all that truly turn to him" (BCP 77) - and we feel comfort. For where else would we turn for comfort than the Holy comforter of our souls?
            May God be with us as we pray in comfort.

1 comment: