16 May 2020

What Day Is It?

"Rotary time engine" CC BY-SA by plenty.r
Source: Flickr

            A recent theme in my life has been a shift in days... my weeks are now comprised of 2 days: Sundays, and Not-Sundays. My rhythm has become adapted in such a way that on Sundays, I post my weekly blog, and I lead worship from the right dining room corner at 8.30 and 10.30... and Not-Sundays I prepare the daily mailing, and lead prayers from the left dining room corner at noon.
            Almost everyone I've spoken with about this phenomenon has shared similar feelings. Our patterns are off; our schedules have changed, our day-to-day is different. We're all still busy, some of us moreso; but this different style of being is a gift.
            We're being gifted the opportunity to look at our busy-ness with new eyes... and determine how we want to spend our time and our energy. Each week of our shared physical distancing is a chance to engage with ourselves, our loved ones, and God, in different ways.
            It's helpful for me to frame this reality in the context of the early church, when ministry happened as it happened - without checking the colour-coded block in the agenda. For relationships and interactions to flow organically, without someone checking their watch or having a 'next meeting' reminder ping on their phone.
            It's also been helpful for me to consider how 'weeks' are understood in a spiritual sense - not as a counted passage of days, but as a stage of spiritual growth and development. The Ignatian Exercises, for example, are based on this principle, as are the stages of the rosary.
            So for me, this difference is reminding me that God is always calling me into deeper awareness, deeper reflection, deeper relationship. And while a global pandemic is not ideal for enforcing it, I can choose to make the most of the situation as it is: and to breathe deeply, pray consistently, and face each day with a thankful heart.
            So what day IS it? It's a day to connect with God. Amen; alleluia.

1 comment:

  1. I can remember when we heard the Anglican church could fade out by 2040 (I think it was) and I felt sad and thought about declining attendance, maintenance on the church buildings and all the expenses. How could the Anglican Church go on? This new way of worship has shown that it can and does - very well. Although there must be many things to work out yet for the future - partly unknown because it depends on the COVID 19 timeline - the Anglican church will not fade out as per the predictions of a few. I am so happy for that! However, I'm mindful that the pandemic which has amplified by reassurance has enacted a terrible cost on much of the world and that we must continue to pray for them, help or donate what and when we can.

    ReplyDelete