17 Oct 2020

Nourishing Body and Soul

One large box of yumminess!
Nourish Your Roots is a fantastic fundraiser; boxes of fresh produce are pre-ordered and provided by local farms, and proceeds go to local schools. It's fantastic as a program, supporting school food programs and local farmers, and it's yummy, food I would be buying anyway. Talk about nourishing!

This year I ordered 2 boxes - and ended up with 4, as through a miscommunication, both my friend and I picked up my 2 boxes.

Whoops!

It was simple enough to rectify: I called through to Nourish and explained the situation, we all had a good laugh, and I paid for the other 2 boxes.

It was so easy - a simple communication, and a desire to make things right, and voila! I have more vegetables than planned. So: time to adjust the plans!

My kitchen has, for the past 10 days, smelled *heavenly*, as I have cooked and preserved and canned... the potatoes are stored, the apples sauced, the pears buttered, the red peppers roasted (for soup and in a creamy goat-cheesey sauce). The soup pot has been simmering, the dehydrated humming, the freezer is full, and my recipe file is expanding.

And, throughout the winter, I'll be able to pull out tasty treats and meals from the freezer and pantry, and I will be nourished! And as I am doing all this food prep, it is also nourishing me - in an emotional way, as the kitchen is a happy place.

It's also nourishing to my heart to know that the food is local, the economy benefits, and that my local schools will receive the benefits.

We have choices we can make: and especially in COVID time I find we're choosing to focus a bit closer to home, a bit closer to the earth, a bit closer to each other... and, I expect, a bit closer to God.

How wonderful to engage in God's creation in this part of the world, in such a nourishing and meaningful way!

*Nourish Boxes are still available at https://www.nourishns.ca/nourish-your-roots



No comments:

Post a Comment