9 Nov 2019

One Lord, One Faith, One Baptism: One Family of God

     During my recent holidays, I had the great pleasure of worshiping alongside my godson. It was the 10th anniversary of his baptism, and I was sat in the pew with family, I could see the font where that great sacrament had taken place.
     Inscribed in that font (as in so many others) is the scripture passage "one Lord, one faith, one baptism" and this seemed to touch my heart more profoundly that day, as I watched the Sunday school approaching the altar to receive their communion. For we are all brought together as God's family, nourished by the family meal. 
     I pondered my role in my little man's life:
In his everyday life, I am his Auntie (perhaps the greatest honour in my life!)
In his baptism, I am his Godmother, who has committed to nurture him in the faith.
In his communion, I am his sister in Christ, sharing in the foretaste of the heavenly kingdom. 
     In all things, we are connected; though our homes are far apart our souls intertwine: and this is a gift of God given freely for us all.
     One recent interpretation of youth-based statistics indicate that while most parents think their children should learn about faith, some 70% of them think that teaching the faith to their children is not their responsibility.* (This interpretation is under debate) While I disagree with that statement/sentiment, I also acknowledge that it is not the responsibility ONLY of the parents to teach the faith. For if we truly believe that we are one family through our baptism, and have agreed in our baptismal vows to support all who are baptised, then part of our vocation is to be the extended family involved in teaching the faith. 
      As I pray daily for my godson, and his family, and all of God's family: may our baptism equip us, may the Eucharist nourish us, and may our communities support us as we live in the family of God. 

* Statistics shared 06 nov 2019 on Twitter by @dougchaplin - Doug Chaplin, Discipleship and Lay Training Officer, Diocese of Worcester

No comments:

Post a Comment