25 Apr 2020

Mugged!


            This pandemic time has meant we're encountering one another in new and unexpected ways. And we're noticing things: the BC chief medical officer's shoes, for example (she wears Fluevogs - and so much attention went there that a special shoe has been designed in her honour, with proceeds to local food aid!). Here in Nova Scotia, our beloved Dr. Strang has a penchant for ties (and is apparently a Habs fan).
            I've had it pointed out that I, too, have a daily demonstration of a sort - in our noontime daily prayers, I tend to have my coffee nearby; so my mugs are being noted.
            Each of my mugs (I have WAY more than I need!) has a story - a Jiminy Cricket mug (a gift from my godson), a Tivoli mug (from a university-era backpacking trek), a Gender Equality mug (from my work at the UN), a shoe mug (...and we're back to Fluevogs. Bless.)
            These mugs are a small thing, a tiny extension of myself - of my relations, of my memories, of my values. They share a small part of my story - a story that would may not otherwise be seen: in what other circumstance might the general public see into my mug cupboard?!
            But they are seen. They are shared.
            This pandemic and lockdown is inviting us to share little bits of ourselves in careful ways - as we are limited in our interactions, we have the chance to choose what and how we present of ourselves to the world. We can be more open in the time of interactions, knowing that people are paying more attention to what we share.
            So we can take time to be intentional about noticing. We can choose to ignore the shaggy haircuts (oi) or the "pandemic pounds" and focus on the ways we can connect. If someone is posting about prayer, we can call and ask to pray with them. If someone is sharing music, we can start a conversation about a concert. If someone is grieving (as we all are in Nova Scotia right now), we can extend a note of care and concern.
            We have a unique time and space right now where we can be noticing. We can be paying attention. We can reach out even as we stay safely apart. We can connect in ways that go deeper than we have gone before. And while this distancing is not our ideal, we can make the most of it to strengthen our connections and our communities. We just have to take notice, and engage.

No comments:

Post a Comment