9 Oct 2021

Market Harvest

I went to a local market yesterday – buying some local produce. I enjoy this time of year, when the abundance of the season is upon us – in our kitchens, in our pantries, in our bellies…

And I was delighting in the harvest. For so many reasons! Our local harvest is an embarrassment of riches, as they say. It’s a cornucopia of opportunity to be grateful.

And it’s a reflection of intentionality of BEING within the community:
As the produce is local, I’m supporting a local family and their business – which is good for our shared economy.

The freshness of not needing to be transported great distances means the food is at its tastiest right now – and that the environmental footprint is minimised.

The seasonal nature of the food means that this was grown with smaller amounts of chemicals or other interventions, which helps maintain the soil and avoid predatory pests – good for everyone!

The smallness of the market meant I was able to chat with the farmers and the staff, with other shoppers and foodies, and we shared conversations: about big things and little things, just being present in a comfortable communal space.

And, as I spent quite a bit of time in food preservation yesterday (some freezing, some dehydrating, some cold storage, and a big pot of stock), I was able to buy more of this food – as it will sustain me for weeks and months to come. This just amplifies the whole cycle of goodness.

It’s lovely. It’s responding to the world around us in ways that encourage the goodness to continue – and to grow – and to be enjoyed.

I went to the market to celebrate some of the earth’s harvest: and celebrated that this encompasses so much more than just food.


No comments:

Post a Comment