16 Sept 2023

Uniquely Colourful

I was buying paint this week... I have lots of walls to customise to my liking. I've spent some time considering what I wanted to do with the space, and made a decision. 

So, overtired and undercaffeinated, I went to the paint store to select some paint chips to take home - we all know that different lightning different spaces can have a substantial impact on how we perceive colour. 

While I was there the next morning, prepared with colour choices and room sizes, a man came in and asked the staff person to tell him what was popular. When the staff asked him about his preferences, the space, the furnishings, the lighting, etc., the man became increasingly frustrated. He just wanted what was popular.

So, the staff sold him a generic 'popular' colour. 

When it was my turn, the staff asked me some of the same questions, to which I was able to share my ideas and overall colour theme. (It's based on a favourite work of art, that I intend to be the centrepiece of the living room; pale blue and light sage - nothing wild!). 

The staff commented that he doesn't often see creative or unique palettes anymore - as people seem to just want what's popular. 

And while the popular colour was a nice neutral, it wasn't for me. I preferred to choose my colours, not let someone else choose for me. (After all, if I want to change it in future, I can always repaint!)

While this conversation was happening, another customer came in and commented that he would never deviate from what's popular, as he always considers resale value. I responded that I've just arrived here, so I'm not focused on what the next person might like, but what I like. 

Both these interactions made me ponder on the popularity of being popular. There's a draw, of course, to fitting in. And when it comes to paint, losing that individuality isn't really a big deal. 

But in so many other aspects of life, we're called to be unique, different, set apart. We're called to stand up for what is right, even if it's not popular. We're called to process the faith, even when our friends criticise us for it. We're called to love our neighbours and serve the vulnerable, even when society rejects those notions. 

We're called to be different. We're called to think for ourselves. We're invited to find ways to co-create a better world with the one who loved us into being. And sometimes that's popular, and sometimes it's not; but the journey inspires us to be faithful to God and to ourselves as we brighten the world around us. 






No comments:

Post a Comment