3 Feb 2024

Cloud Bouncing


I am a word-nerd. I like playing with words, appreciating their history and etymology, their evolution, and their use. So often we use words without due consideration – not out of malice, but because they are culturally acceptable, or we do not understand the implications.

One such example is the word “triggered” – it refers to an emotional response, usually negative, caused by a particular action, process, or situation. It comes from the root of a mechanism being activated, usually in a violent way – a gun firing, or a siren sounding.

When used to address legitimate trauma response, identifying a trigger can help address healing. However, the use of the word has become so ubiquitous that it has lost its meaning – I overheard a conversation this week where a woman complained that someone ordering a latte with oat milk was “triggering” to her. (While I personally don’t enjoy oat milk, I can’t imagine it would cause trauma.)

Chatting with a colleague (who also heard the oat milk lament), we decided that we preferred the term “agitated” – something which can arouse concern, or disturb. I noted that the imagery evoked in me the imagery of my washing machine – whose central mechanism (yes, I have a top-loader) is called an agitator. It stirs up, but with the intention of cleansing. Again, our goal is to healing and healthy communication.

My friend and I then spent some time being playful with words – noting that we are both intentional about not using expressions that can cause hurt, or are rooted in systematic oppression or racism (and our vernacular certainly has a lot of those!)

We were just about done when she said “I think we’ve fully mined that resource!”… which caused me to question that expression; with its colonial roots in taking whatever we feel like. As an eco-geek, wanton resource depletion bothers me – so we opted to choose another image.

This time we decided that fully exploring the issue could be described as being surrounded by a cloud of gifts; bouncing around as we were enhanced by the experience, tickled by each gift that we collided with. Yes, it was overly poetic, and is not like to catch on – but it got us laughing some more, and continuing to be careful about what we say.

It’s a practice I try to use; being intentional about words and phrases, cognisant of how my very vocabulary can help denote my commitment to equality and dignity. It’s a small step, but an important one; as a reflection of my faith and my values. Especially as we promote our faith, using scriptural words that are often unknown or antiquated, and phrases that have been coopted by culture or evolved to very different things: ensuring that the message of love and inclusion is indeed as we intend.



No comments:

Post a Comment