27 Sept 2026

The Benefit of Reading (and Re-Reading)

 

Most folks know that I’m an avid reader, and that much of what I read is fictional. Thus, the turn-around of my shelves is not uncommon. I read a book, and I donate it to the book sale – where I purchase several more; and the cycle continues.

Some books, however, stay with me – literally, on the shelf, as well as in the mind. There are some fiction and some non-fiction; books that have held meaning deeper than just entertainment. These are books that get re-visited, sometimes for nostalgia, sometimes for comfort, sometimes for research or study (or sermon prep!)

As François Mauriac said, "Tell me what you read and I'll tell you who you are is true enough, but I'd know you better if you told me what you reread."

Re-reading can be beautiful, for any number of reasons. It keeps the books alive for us, and thus indicates we are still wanting to engage with the material (or characters or themes). A re-read can reveal to us new understandings or applications, depending on where we are in our journey. It can enhance our appreciation for the writing itself, as we discover nuance or structure that we missed the first time.

What we choose to re-read can be a great experience. It’s why we re-read the scriptures: because God is constantly revealing new lessons, new perspectives, new appreciations of how we are being called to live in community.

As we journey through the bible, there are some passages that we may have memorised, some we vaguely remember, and others we may never have read. Whatever opens before us, however, invites us to read it carefully – intentionally and prayerfully – that we might fully benefit from that passage today. Even the parts we think we know can surprise us with new perspectives!

What we read is important. What we re-read can define who we are. As we re-read God’s word, may we be open to hearing God’s speaking anew!

No comments:

Post a Comment