2 Jan 2017

Home Church

Photo by the Very Rev. Paul N. Johnson.Following last week’s blog, I’ve been reflecting even more on ‘home’specifically how it relates to the church.
My ‘home church’ is a difficult concept to address, as it’s not about a building, but about the community and active ministry that takes place. (Though I acknowledge the convenience of having a structure with a name to serve as a base for that ministry!)
My ‘home church’ is many things:
It’s comfortablein the same way that a slightly dishevelled living room is comfortable. I know that I can come as I am, and be loved. Whether my spiritual journey is having a good day, a bad day, or somewhere in between, I know that I am truly welcome there.
It’s uncomfortablein the same way that a great debate with a good friend is uncomfortable. It challenges me, encourages me to grow, invites me to stretch into new and deeper relationship with the Divine and then sort out an earthly active response to that new depth (even if I haven’t fully figured it out yet).
It’s communityin the same way that all communities evolve, composed of long-time friendships and folks I haven’t yet met. It is continually evolving and changing, welcoming new folks and saying goodbye to others, but maintaining the focus on seeking and serving Jesus at every opportunity.
And, it’s home. It’s a place for rest and repose, for healing of self and others. Andas with any homefor going out into the world to contribute to society.
The secret is this‘home church’ exists in my heart, because I choose to carry it with me. It was a time/place/space that so informed my faith journey that I recall its benefit to me, and I decide to tap into that spiritual goodness as I venture forward. Home church will always be home church so long as I choose to live that way. No matter where I go, or how much that place changes, it will still be home.
Because it is about Jesus: calling us to be ‘home’; providing a church to let us glimpse what it means to be in God’s house; inspiring us to live out the reality of making this life a bit more like home.
I remain eternally (literally) grateful for the church and the Church that are home to meI remain eternally grateful for the home that Jesus promises me.

No comments:

Post a Comment