5 Oct 2019

A Life of Prayer


            Many times, I have been asked what a 'typical' day looks like as a parish priest. My answer is the same - aside from prayer, I seldom know!
            That is not to ignore the importance of prayer - quite the opposite, in fact. Any day can lead to any number of encounters - people asking for baptisms, funeral planning, hospital visits, the list goes on. For me, to be invited to pray with and for people as they journey through life is a tremendous privilege; without daily grounding myself in prayer I know I would be less effective as a spiritual leader.
            This week, that privilege was highlighted tremendously. In addition to my daily office, and pastoral visits, it was my week to lead worship in alternative settings: first, at our local hospital's Veterans Unit - which is always a pleasure to connect with those who have served; secondly, at our monthly care home worship; between the two I joined more than 40 enthusiastic lovelies in prayer and praise. It's a tremendous gift to celebrate being the church with those for whom the building no longer defines church.
            I was also delighted to participate in discussions of Anglican formation at the nearby seminary; sharing some of my research and experience of prayer for personal benefit as a parish priest, and the importance of that prayer when exercising our parish ministry. I also had the great honour to preach and preside at a Eucharist with that community, to literally put into practice what I had just shared.
            At other times this week, the unexpected or unknown was couched in prayer: at meetings, in correspondence about discernment, even in an email exchange with a secular business about a customer service issue. The theme of my week was prayer; and what a great gift that is! As Henri Nouwen claimed, it is the only necessary thing.
            So what does a priest's typical day look like? It looks like an opportunity to pray: in words and in actions, in a church or a hallway, in stress or in calm, in established connections and brand-new relationships. A day looks like prayer: for that I thank God.


1 comment:

  1. And I thank God for you and the inspiration that you impart to others, especially to me. God keep and protect you always!

    ReplyDelete