13 Oct 2019

Blessed are the Head-Nodders

"Blessed" by May Yee Ng
CC BY-SA 2.0 Source: Flickr

A Prayer of thanksgiving for those who have blessed my life in the recent past.

Blessed are the head-nodders: who sits in the pew and nods, encouraging me right at the moment when I feel my sermon is falling flat.

Blessed are the fluff-finders: who tell me when my black jacket has white fluff on the back, so I can look my best at an important meeting.

Blessed are the phone-answerers: the friend who answers my call even when busy, because even 30 seconds of connection brings a smile to both our faces.

Blessed are the collaborators: who commit to working together, trusting me to share in a task too big for any of us to do alone.

Blessed are the name-users: who intentionally interject my name while we are chatting, as though it is a sacred word.

Blessed are the complimenters: who seek an honest positivity to elevate each conversation.

Blessed are the picture-senders: who share their life with me through unremarkable daily  images, or remind me of a long-standing joke with a humorous GIF.

Blessed are the joy-seekers: whose focus inspires all around them to also seek and share joy.

Blessed are the laughers: who go out of their way to share in happiness (and don't care that I'm loud!)

Blessed are the fearless: who agree to do what fear would prevent me from doing (i.e. namely, blessing any snakes at the St. Francis service!)

Blessed are the texters: who send  messages that convey love and kinship, regardless of distance.

Blessed are the gym "hey!"-sayers: who encourage my efforts, with no judgement of my extended absence.

Blessed are the pausers: who pause after asking how I am today, because they really want to listen to my response.

Blessed are the gracious: who don't care about the dog-hair on the floor, because they have come to see me (not a perfect house).

Blessed are the grocery-store-smilers: who are happy to see me, and don't care that I'm not really dressed to be seen out in public.

Blessed are the compassionate: who overlook a slightly delayed deadline, because the work is still done.

Blessed are all my friends: whose very presence makes the world a better place, and inspire me to be the best version of myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment