26 Oct 2019

Screwed: the Gift of a Flat Tire

"Screwed" CC BY-ND 2.0 by ljv Source: Flickr

     My car had a flat tire this week.
     No blow-out, no collision, no drama; just a slow(ish) leak that left the tire flat. It happens!
After determining that merely re-filling the tire was not going to be effective (I got to watch it slowly deflate again) I called a local mechanic, who was able to help.
     While I know this is their business, their response touched on a number of things:
  • They first asked if I could drive it to the shop or if it needed repair at my home - doing their best to meet me where I was.
  • They inquired what my driving plans were for the coming days, and on learning I was a single-car household with a scheduled highway trip the next day, worked to fit my plans - taking time to understand the context of my need.
  • Resultantly, they adjusted their schedule to accommodate my flat, fitting me in with 15 minutes lead time at the end of the work day - making space for my need.
  • They told me up front how long it should take, and offered either a seat there of the suggestion of a nearby coffee shop - making sure I could be comfortable. (A side benefit was having 30 uninterrupted minutes - I got a lot of work done!)
  • They fixed the tire, and kept me informed of what was happening (I had picked up a screw and they had plugged it) - so I knew what had caused the problem and what the completed solution was.
  • They checked the other tires as well, since I was already there, to make sure all was well - to ensure there were no other immediate problems.
  • They charged a reasonable rate, and when I was thanking them profusely they were amused, almost embarrassed, at my gratitude - they did not price gouge in my time of need, or expect to be so appreciated for what they had done.

     It occurred to me, as I drove away, that these folks were exercising their ministry to the best of their ability. While we may not often see such employment as ministry, it clearly is: and it invites us to consider that everything we do is an opportunity to share the gifts and skills that God has given us.
     I'm thankful for that flat tire, as it was a gift to witness this ministry in action.



1 comment:

  1. LM this blog should be on a billboard in every town and city in North America. Some businesses really get it and one little action like this not only brings complete satisfaction and gratitude to you but food for thought for some others on how to carry on their business. Thank you once again for your gift LM

    ReplyDelete