29 Apr 2023

Focus

Magritte, Le Faux Miroir. Photo taken at MoMA
I recently read an article on the effects of screentime on our eyes. (Ironically, I read the article online!) As someone who has experienced myopia (nearsightedness), and who reads (and writes) daily, I appreciate the gift of focus.

I was reminded of the 20-20-20 rule. My optometrist once advised, every 20 minutes of reading, focus on something at least 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds. It gives the eyes the opportunity to rest and adjust – not unlike taking a pause between reps in weight lifting, our eyes do better when they have that change and rest.

I enjoy those moments of different focus – they allow my horizons to broaden for the short time – to appreciate the crow in the tree or the cloud formations, to see the people walking past, to let my mind wander over the information I’ve been considering. And, upon returning to the task at hand, I find I often have a renewed focus and often additional perspectives as I incorporate whatever I’ve just seen a distance away.

If we extrapolate from the physical benefits of a temporary re-focus, we can consider how we perceive and view our daily lives. Are we focusing too long on one challenge, and missing out on other opportunities? Is our scope too limited and could benefit from widening the lens? Might we appreciate the centre of our attention if we consider it from a different angle?

This invitation to a renewed or extended focus can apply to our relationships, our work, our ministries – even our faith. God is constantly gifting us with new ways to perceive the world around us, and our privilege in participating within the creation. God is always showing us new things and new ways to experience joy; and giving us new opportunities to extend love. May we open our eyes to the potential of each new day as another chance to focus on God’s ever-expanding love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment