8 Oct 2023

Inspiration

This past year, I have been reflecting on the important people in my life. I am so blessed to have amazing friends - near and far - who continue to inspire me day after day. These are folks who are there in good times and bad; I know I can call on them at any time to cry with me or laugh with me, or even just sit in the silence. 

These are formidable people who make my life better. They know the real me, and delight in that connection. And it's not just me; they find ways to reach out to their communities and make the world a better place.

One of these friends makes an effort to extend grace whenever she can, realising that a little bit of positivity can go a long way - and usually the folks we don't feel like extending grace to are the ones who need it the most.


One will send an occasional text saying "I appreciate you - I'm glad you're in my life."


One makes sure to really listen to the people he's with; knowing that a simple "how are you" without the commitment to engage in conversation isn't fair.


One is intentional about eye contact in conversation.


One will always express "you're welcome" to a "thank you".


One mails amusing cards, for no occasion, because the post shouldn't just be bills and flyers.


...You get the idea. There are more examples, and we all have them. These aren't the types of things that will be recorded in the history books, but they are the types of things that make my story better. And they inspire me to be better: a better friend, neighbour, Christian, human! And for them, I am grateful!


So on this Thanksgiving weekend, as I pause from raking leaves and unpacking more boxes and walking the dogs in the gorgeous weather, I'm taking time to dwell in that space of gratitude where I can thank God for the inspirational people in my life, and honour their gifts. 


I pray we all have someone we can call a true friend, who inspires us. I pray I can be such a friend to others as we share the journey. 






No comments:

Post a Comment