14 Oct 2023

unStung

I was rather disheartened this past week, when a side effect of unseasonably warm weather meant a collection of stinging beasts at my front window. Having left the back door open so the dogs could meander in and out to the yard (repeatedly) without needing me to open the door each time, a decent number of stingers found their way inside the house.

For many, this is an inconvenience. I’m not aware of anyone who would intentionally encourage wasps into their home. For me, there was an element of fear connected to this – I am allergic to stings, and would prefer to leave my Epi-Pen and antihistamines unused.

I also know that the abundance of wasps in the area was due to the seasonal change; as we approach the cold weather these critters are simply searching for food before the deep freeze. They are acting in a time of survival. So, with decreasing food stocks in our gardens, the scarcity plays a role. They’re not ‘out to get me’ when they are stinging, they are simply hungry.

Hangry wasps. In the house. Not ideal.

The easiest option may have been simply to squash them against the window, and shut the door to prevent the dispersal of pheromones wasps produce when in distress. (These pheromones serve to attract other wasps to help with whatever the threat is.)

However, there was another option… a simple one, involving a glass and a piece of paper. I would catch the insect in the glass, trap it with the paper, take it outside and let it loose. It wasn’t very hard, and it wasn’t really any more of a risk to me than squishing them. (I did adjust the door to limit access, as well, though they seemed determined to check out my living room view!)

It's a perspective of how we interact with others. Sometimes, we interact in ways that are not ideal or happy.
We can control our response to folks, whatever the other person’s mood is. We do not have to tolerate negativity, we can remove it from our midst in a way that is peaceful (and ideally, helpful). We don’t need to know the circumstances of the other’s mood; but we can hope that whatever issues they are dealing with will be addressed in a beneficial way.
And we can hope that when we are not being our best selves, that others will extend the same peace to us.

I hope the wasps got what they needed to be well; while I am glad that they are no longer in proximity to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment