14 Sept 2024

NOT one more chapter...


Normally, I am a voracious reader. Novels, mysteries, history, theology: I can happily go through 10 books a month; and usually with more than one on the go at any given time.
My TBR (to-be-read) shelf is of decent size, as is my ‘on hold’ list at the library.

My current before-bed read has been a change of pace – literally. It’s an engaging story that I want to finish in one sitting; yet it is so well crafted and creative that I want to savour it. I find myself reading no more than a few chapters each night, so I can make it last.

In doing so, I find I’m reading it with a different focus, considering multiple angles and perspectives as each section unfolds. I’m spending more time wondering what the characters are feeling, how they might interact, how their pasts are influencing their present, etc.

Perhaps this exact practice is why we have our scriptural narratives shared in small portions for our daily and weekly lections; not just so we can accomplish our liturgical journey through the bible every three years, but so that we can spend time in reflection, contemplation, and meditation. Each passage has something to reveal to us; even when we don’t understand it, even when we’re wanting to skip to the next action-based part, even when we can’t quite remember all the nuance of the last bit.

The scriptures are meant to engage us in all aspects of our lives; and with too much all at one we may be overly challenged and instead give up.

But with just the right amount, we can find ways to apply the lessons of each section to our lives: bringing us enjoyment, learning, and opportunity for ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment