29 Sept 2024

Waste Not, Want Not

In this, the last week of the church’s recognition of the Season of Creation, we’ve been having a discussion about the impacts that humanity has had on the planet (not so good) and the potential impacts we can have in the future (full of hope!)

 

One of the topics raised last week was the adage we all learned some decades ago: reduce, reuse, recycle.

 

It’s a great mantra; yet we often overlook the importance of the order of this. Our first call is to reduce our consumption, then reuse what we already have, and utilize recycling as a last resort. Too often, we shed our awareness and responsibility by simply filling up our blue bins, where they can be taken away and (hopefully) recycled.

 

Part of our call to reduce our consumption is a chance to be financially frugal, which will likely also lead to a reduction in waste. One of the areas I focus on is in food waste: fo9r wasting food is wasting money, and wasting the planet.

 

Yes, I’m *that* person, who saves the end cuts of vegetables in a bag in the freezer, until I can boil them into a stock; I look for creative recipes for the food that I have. Sometimes this can be a wonderful success; sometimes I learn that I won’t be doing that recipe again!

 

This week, I’m looking forward to trying some new recipes from parts that, in the past, I may have just dropped in the stock-making bag (or directly into the composter!) I was gifted some beet leaves, so am eager to try a dal recipe. The carrots I mentioned in last week’s blog have been harvested, and… well, to call them tiny would be a compliment; but the greens have been washed and stripped and are ready for the pesto making!

 

I appreciate that not everyone enjoys cooking, or experimenting, but for me it’s one way to deepen my appreciation for, and engagement with, God’s creation. There is much to be thankful for, even in unexpected places. The goodness is literally coming up from the ground, and we are being invited to be creative in celebrating our local bounty.

All while respecting the earth, and decreasing our waste – thus celebrating all that God provides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment