1 Aug 2020

Scales of Relationship

"Nobody Will Notice"
CC-BY2.0 by PebblePicJay. Source: Flickr
            This week, I bought a bathroom scale.

            Not exactly living my life on the wild side, I know! But it's something that I needed, and something that I use... I'm aware that the "Quarantine 15" weight gain is real, and I know that I generally do better at tracking my weight if I can consistently and accurately track my weight. So: a scale.

            Now, for me, the numbers it will show me in the morning are not my worth - they are my weight. They'll fluctuate from time to time, but they will do one thing consistently: numerically articulate my relationship with gravity. These numbers will then help inform my decisions around food and exercise, and I'll be able to accurately keep an eye on trends in my lifestyle and health habits.

            Imagine if all our relationships were so easily tracked? If we could discern quite easily if we were staying the course, or if things were moving either to decline or excess? And thus, to consider how we might want to respond?

            Imagine if our relationships could be easily tracked... I think it's possible! When we are intentional about things, we can consider where we are, and where we want to be; what goals are realistic and what ones we just don't want to move towards. We can make choices based on intentional decisions that are made.

            So with our interpersonal relationships, we can consider: have I extended kindness, and have I received it? Is there open communication? Is there regular communication? How do we show love through our words, and actions? What markers are there that let us know we are appreciated?

            Our relationships can have tangible markers (how often do we speak?) and intangible ones (when did I last feel respected?); and they will ebb and flow. But by understanding what markers are important to us, and where our limits lie, we can have a better understanding of our overall relationship - and how/when/where we may want to work on it.

            Extrapolating that, then, to our spiritual journey: how is our relationship with God? Are we healthy? Are we effectively communicating, engaging, and valuing? What markers do we need, and how do we track them?

            Our relationships say a lot about us... and deserve regular attention if they are to stay healthy. So whether we're measuring for our physical health, or our emotional and spiritual health, keeping track can be a good and balancing thing.




No comments:

Post a Comment