29 Aug 2020

The Nose Knows

            Part of the joy of sharing my life with dogs is the daily 'smell walk'. While extensive sniffing is a part of *every* walk, our morning walks are dominated by the olfactory senses.

            Dogs need this; the scent walk helps activate their brains while calming their nerves, it enhances their time and their engagement with the world, and helps them communicate. The nose knows; it's a complex world!

            So while you and I may not be able to tell the difference between *this* patch of grass and *that* one, the dogs can.

            Our daily smell walk means a lot to them - but it also means a lot to me. In allowing the noses to guide our direction and speed (with overarching human control, obviously!), they reap the benefits of being fully present. And so do I!

            For on these walks, I can spend more time being mindful of my surroundings. I can engage my primary senses of sound and sight, and I can enter into a reflective and introspective space. I pray, I think, I breathe deeply. I try to be open to whatever God is revealing to me in the moment, so that the rest of my day I tend to be (like the dogs) calmer, more engaged, more communicative, etc.

            For the dogs, the nose knows - and the world is better for the time to sniff it out. For me, the spirit knows best - and my world is better for its time and space to dwell in the presence of God.  



2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! Thanks from my little Sniffer friend, Orphan Annie, and myself 💓

    ReplyDelete